Long-Term Evolution (LTE) is a technology network with very high-speed network communication for mobile phones and internet data devices. It is based on its previous generation of technologies like GSM or EDGE and UMTS & HSPA network technologies, the core part is same but has huge capacity in transmitting signals and insta-speed using a different radio interface with core network improvements.
The IP Multimedia Subsystem or IP Multimedia Core Network Subsystem (IMS) is designed for delivering IP multimedia services. Historically, mobile phones have provided voice calls on a PSTN network, rather than strictly over an IP packet-switched network. VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) is an alternative to those legacy methods of delivery calls. It is grooming rapidly because of its crystal clear quality of service, but they have not become standardized across the industry. IMS as a core network can provide IP based Network Communication for any Telecom Operator, it is also a proven Network with all Standard requirements.
Every country now is moving towards ALL-IP network for all kinds of communication because – using legacy physical networks like PSTN – Circuit Switch Network infrastructure consumes a large amount of investment in building a strong network availability. With the evolution of IMS & LTE, all communications will be on Data network i.e. internet data and this will immensely reduce the cost of infrastructure and increase network availability. To provide full fledge IP connectivity for LD and NLD, SBC (Session Border Controller) Platform can provide switching, routing, rating and billing.
Panamax iMax is one of the best SBC products available in the market to provide a solution for IMS & LTE services. With the implementation of LTE network, many new features will get added and QoS (Quality of Services) will also increase.
SBC Solution (Panamax iMax) can provide vast and vital features like HD Voice, Video Conferencing, SIP security, SIP encryption, NAT Traversal Support, Media flow encryption and more. It also offers Bandwidth Download Stream/Rate 300 Mbits/s and mobility on frequency speed from 350km/h to 500km/h. It performs AAA (Authentication, Authorization & Accounting) in Real Time with SIP message forwarding and routing, Interworking of IPv6-IPv4, and manipulation of SIP Messages/Headers.
LTE is commonly marketed as 4G LTE as it is considered to be a part of 4th Generation of the networks evolved, but as per the standards of 3GPP – LTE does not meet the technical criteria for 4G wireless services.
Advantages of 4G Network:
Generally 5 MHz
Scale up to 20 MHz
User Network Latency
Circuit Switch and Packet Switch
Packet Switched Only
Control plane latency (idle to active)
> 500 ms
Call / Session control
Access network specific protocols (e.g., UMTS)
Access network to core network dependency
Fully dependent on Strong and tight Network
Opportunities for Mobile Operators with IMS:
• IMS as Service Control Infrastructure.
- Enables the usage of Best-In-Class Application servers through IMS Control over the network
• Infrastructure building is more on virtual (IP) as IMS builds a logical world within the network interconnected with other Service Support Functions.
• IMS as Interconnect Network, Intermediate/Transit Routing :
- Enables the support of PSTN Emulation/Simulation.
- Addresses the growing market of Interconnect by enabling the support of VoIP & VoLTE with User Specific Services for Transit calls.
• One IMS based Service Infrastructure for Fixed Market, Mobile Market, (Hosted) Enterprise Market, Transit/Interconnect Market will provide a Converged Communication World.
• IMS as central core in 3GPP (Mobile, WLAN), TISPAN (Fixed), PacketCable2.0 (Cable) ensures interoperability and long-term investment protection.
• Can there be any future without VoIP? Probably not.
Operators / Service Providers are looking for IMS architectures to implement in their network. This requires a huge investment in SBCs that should be compatible to IMS. Separation of Signaling and media transmission is also required to make smooth interconnection. Today, SBCs provide many great features which can confine IMS designed network requirements. The SBC Solutions in IMS Framework Architecture are also well-versed with the support required for signaling and media separation.