Media gateway acts as a translation solution essentially used for converting media streams between different telecommunication technologies such as next-generation networks like 2G, 3G or 4G radio access networks, SS7 and PBX systems. It enables multimedia communication across packet networks using transport protocols such as Internet Protocol (IP).
- Real-time credit authorization for call termination
- Automatic distribution of call traffic between servers, based on the workload
- Transmits the media relay to the interconnected carriers
- Hiding core network topology from access and/or peer network
- Rate authorization for the dialed destination
- Vendor SIP probing to check gateway uptime